<body>
where do we draw the line ?
follow?
facebook
tumblr
twitter
entries profile tagboard miscellaneous
<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

<$BlogItemBody$>
-->

Saturday, August 14, 2010

My First Book (ever)

This is my first real purchase of a book. And I was not wrong for making such a choice. 

Why first "real" purchase? I don't buy books if they're not on sale. My previous purchases were induced by sale advertising. (I'm applying advertising knowledge here. haha) Most of the covers are not popular reads, but I thought of them to be interesting however not all were able to linger 'til the very last page. But there were also those that I've read cover to cover and have reread for several times like Larry King and Thomas Cook's Moon Over Manhattan which is wittily written. The book is a good source of a good laugh and was only 70 pesos. One of the good deals include Schindler's List which I'm planning to use for our book report. I may sound like an avid reader, but honestly I'm not really a regular reader like many of the rest. Well I read when I have the luxury of time or in the mood to just sit and wander through the world of what I'm reading. But I'd like to make it a habit to read. Reading is really fun and stimulating, and a good exercise for the eyes too. :)

FYI: One of our professors said that reading is a good way to prevent Alzheimer's disease because it allows the eyes to be in constant motion which is an advisable activity for the brain. 

How did I get my hands into Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist? After having lunch together, Paula, my friend asked me to accompany her to NBS to check on some books and pocketbooks. While Paula was scanning the pocket books, I visited the stand where Paulo Coelho's books were placed. I've always wanted to have a copy of one of his books, but every time I was about to buy, I would have second thoughts and end up not buying anything. Today was different. I impulsively said to Paula, I'm gonna buy this book. And right then and there bought it immediately before my mind ticks and start having second thoughts. 

So I now have this book with me and I'm really happy about the purchase that I made. Paulo Coelho is one-of-a-kind. It would be an embarrassment if he gets to read this. He's just incomparable, no wonder why he's able to make all of his books disappear and leave all the readers clamor for more. He has captured the hearts of his readers including President Clinton and Julia Roberts. It's really amazing to know that there's a commonality between the people we look up to and admire and us ordinary ones, and that is Paulo Coelho's book. It feels like he's bridging the gaps between people and that the book draws us closer to those who we thought are far beyond our reach. Come to think of it, people like Clinton and Julia Roberts appreciate the same book as you do. Yes, I know it may sound absurd or maybe irrelevant and unworthy to make a big deal out of, but for me, knowing such knowledge is gratifying.

The book is a good guide on how one can decipher his destiny and make his own legend in his lifetime. After reading the book it feels like anything can be done and nothing can hinder nor impede us from reaching our dreams. Life is limitless, it doesn't end, it repeats in cycle and so are the things that life sweeps through its course. It's either we settle for what we have or we brave into realizing our dreams. All the lessons you have to learn throughout your lifetime is craftily summed up in this book. I would want to spill everything here but I don't want to deprive you of the joy of discovering what the story is about by yourself. 

If you get to read this, read The Alchemist  and after that you will be seeing the world, life and love in a different kind of light. Happy reading. :))

No comments:

Post a Comment