<body>
where do we draw the line ?
follow?
facebook
tumblr
twitter
entries profile tagboard miscellaneous
<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>

<$BlogItemBody$>
-->

Sunday, September 12, 2010

My Fifty First Dates

Out of randomness, I checked on what movies do I have since I couldn't sleep yet. I bought some pirated DVD's (sssshhhh... it's a little crime everybody is guilty of) before and was disappointed 'cause some of them don't work at all including 50 First Dates. I've never seen the film in it's entirety before, but as much as I've seen, it was a really good movie, that if one is a sucker for romantic-comedies. Unfortunately, this movie is my kind of movie. :) I gathered the DVD's of my interest from the living room and brought it to my room. I was planning to play Serendipity but, as I was browsing I glanced upon 50 First Dates which didn't play the last time I checked. Since I'm using a different player, I tried if it the player would read it this time... Voila! Lucky enough, it did! So obviously I watched the movie.

I didn't expect that it would affect me that much. Dang! This hopeless-romantic-syndrome on me attacked once again. I started crying at the first fifteen minutes of the movie. hahaha. That was really weird, cause the movie that made me cry so much was A Walk to Remember and it had to get to that part wherein Jamie was bullied for wearing the same sweater over and over again, which was maybe 30 minutes of the movie. Okay, so I was crying nonstop while I was watching 50 First Dates, even at the parts where it is very unnecessary to cry. The movie has a lot of funny parts, and for those parts, I laughed while crying. Now, call me insane. I swear, I'm not gonna watch a romantic film with somebody. It would be totally embarrassing since I have the bizarre-est reaction. However, I am entitled to actually defend myself and explain why I had that queer reaction. I was trying to put myself into the situation and imagine myself as Lucy. She was so special and the kind of love that Henry gave her was very unconventional and selfless. It is rare to meet someone like Henry, and maybe that's also the reason why I am not in a relationship yet, it's because I want someone to be like the ones I see in the movies which is pretty much ridiculous and immature of me to ask. I know, the characters are ideal and nonexistent, they are fictional and are only projections of the author's idealisms. The characters are figments of imagination that don't exist in real life, and if by chance they do, they are very rare. But it's not so bad to ask for someone who if could not be exactly the same as the ones in the movie then maybe just  a fraction of the traits that Henry Roth has. But of course, not the perverted trait of his. :)

The whole point of the movie is not to make people look for someone like Henry, nor to be a victim of a car accident to find that kind of love. It's not. The movie is about how love should be. It should be unconditional. It should not ask for anything in return to compensate the things that one has given. It should always be a challenge. To keep a love alive, one should never get tired of creating new ways and inventing different strategies to keep things fresh and exciting. It never gets tired. True love never gets tired, it never dies down, it doesn't easily loses its spark. Love is always looking forward to another day, a new adventure and the readiness to embark on that journey every single day, without complaining. Henry wakes up every morning to see Lucy, even if he knows that each morning is going through the whole "introduction" part. Love is persistence. When a person loves truly, he doesn't give up that easily. No amount of circumstances will stop him from showing how he truly feels until it could be felt by the one whom he desires. Like Henry, knowing that everyday will put him through hell, and that everyday is a risk he has to take to make Lucy remember him, with big chances of getting his ass whacked and his face smacked, still it didn't impede him from loving her. Love is accepting. Henry accepted the fact that Lucy will never remember him every morning she wakes up and that for the rest of his life, he will be stuck in that routine. Yet, it didn't matter to him. What mattered to him the most is that, he gets to wake up every single day with Lucy beside him.

Wouldn't it be nice if this really exists? Then we can prove that love really is magical.

I know I sound mushy again. Well I am mushy and I am sloppy. I will never get tired of watching this kind of movies. It makes my heart swell in happiness and in kilig-ness. I will watch it again and make sure that nobody sees me so I could cry my heart out. Yerp! :)

p.s. wouldn't it be sweet when every kiss is your first kiss? 'cause Nothing beats the first kiss. *wink*

No comments:

Post a Comment